By LynAnne Wiest
On 21, Jan 2017 | In HumanKind News | By LynAnne Wiest
If you are looking to work in a retail environment that makes a difference in our world, look no further than HumanKind! As a non-profit, it is our mission to support artisans in developing countries around the world by purchasing their products and creating a market for their items here in San Luis Obispo. Our assistant manager plays an important role in our dynamic team of board members, volunteers, and paid staff. We are looking to fill this position with someone who is energetic, organized, and passionate about our fair trade mission.
- $16/hour starting hourly rate
- Paid sick leave and vacation
- $100/month contribution to health insurance
- 401k plan
- Eligible for cell phone plan
- 40 hours/week with ability to work some weekends.
- Work special events as needed (offsite sales, Art After Dark)
- Regular schedule is 9:45 AM to 6:15 PM with a 30 minute lunch break. Sunday’s schedule is 10:45 AM to 5:15 PM.
The assistant manager is responsible for basic daily operations of the store as assigned by the store manager.
- Open and close store, working independently in the store handling sales, customer service, and following procedures set by the store manager.
- Assist in training volunteers and managing their daily tasks.
- Process inventory shipments including unpacking, pricing, steaming clothes, and setting displays in store.
- Work with manager to select new products and collections. Order merchandise and maintain appropriate inventory levels.
- Find ways to improve store efficiency and organization, especially in managing inventory.
- Greet customers and talk to customers about fair trade and specific products. Maintain a working knowledge about the mission of HumanKind, our products and the artisans who make them.
- Assist in creating store displays and signs, maintaining the HumanKind brand.
- Assist in planning and carrying out store events.
- Show the customer that they are the top priority at HumanKind. Model the components of excellent customer service and encourage all volunteers to do the same.
- Keep store clean and tidy
- Maintain a neat and professional personal appearance including wearing clothing appropriate to HumanKind’s mission, values and aesthetics.
- Experience in retail sales
- Experience in buying, marketing, and/or event planning.
- Self-motivated, outgoing, energetic, and enjoys working with people.
- Capability and willingness to carry out all duties in a careful and responsible manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Basic computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mail.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to execute multiple tasks and changing priorities while simultaneously maintaining awareness for details.
- Enthusiastic support of and commitment to HumanKind’s mission and goals.
- Physical Requirements
- Ability to be mobile on sales floor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75 lbs, utilizing appropriate equipment, assistance and safety techniques.
- Eligibility to be employed in the United States of America
To get an application, please contact our store manager, LynAnne, at email@example.com, or pick one up at the store. Please drop off your completed application and resume at the store.