Your cart is currently empty
As a non-profit organization, we support skilled artisans around the world by purchasing their handcrafted goods and ensuring living wages, safe working conditions, and equal opportunities for women and minorities. Each item in our shop is made by an artisan who is able to provide for his or her family.
We source handcrafted gifts, apparel, accessories, and home goods from over 30 countries around the world. Since we are not able to regularly visit each of these countries in person, we rely on our network of fair trade enterprises that are working directly with artisans and ensuring that fair trade standards are upheld to import goods to the US and provide a link between us and the producers.
HumanKind Fair Trade is a member of the Fair Trade Federation (FTF), a trade association of North American businesses committed to the principles of fair trade. As a verified FTF member, we uphold the highest standards of fair trade business practices.
1. Create opportunities for economically and socially marginalized farmers and artisans. Fair trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development achieved through long-term trading partnerships.
2. Develop transparent and accountable relationships with artisans and farmers to ensure that relationships are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
3. Build capacity of farmers, artisans, and their communities. HumanKind Fair Trade invests time and resources to help producers build their businesses and create sustainable supply chains.
4. Promote fair trade by raising awareness about fair trade, educating customers and producers, and inspiring other businesses to adopt fair trade practices.
5. Pay promptly and fairly by discussing costs and pricing openly and honestly so that producers are able to earn a fair wage.
6. Support safe and empowering working conditions that are free of discrimination and forced labor. Healthy workplaces empower producers to participate in decision-making.
7. Cultivate environmental stewardship by encouraging responsible use of resources and eco-friendly production. HumanKind Fair Trade reduces, reuses, reclaims, and recycles materials whenever possible.
8. Ensure the rights of children by never using exploitative child labor. HumanKind supports children’s right to security, education, and play and respect the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
9. Respect the cultural identity of the farmers and artisans and celebrate diversity. Fair trade products and production methods respect the traditions of the local communities.