Small Business Saturday in Downtown SLO
- Posted on
- By Sandy
- Posted in San Luis Obispo
#ShopSmall to win a basket of local items on Small Business Saturday Nov. 30
If you haven’t browsed downtown SLO stores lately, head out on Small Business Saturday, Nov. 30.
At HumanKind Fair Trade and other shops, you’ll find a festive atmosphere, innovative and engaging store owners and a wide range of local merchandise and food that’s one-of-a-kind – at great prices!
Since Jan. 1, 32 new businesses have opened – including 21 that are locally owned, according to Bettina Swigger, chief executive officer at Downtown SLO, a nonprofit whose mission is to foster an economically vibrant downtown. “That’s pretty astonishing,” she said.
To celebrate Small Business Saturday, Downtown SLO is once again partnering with American Express to offer a Passport Program that gives you a chance to win a gift basket stocked with local goodies.
Just pick up a passport at HumanKind and other participating stores, get it stamped every time you make a purchase at one of them and turn it in when completed.
The promotion has attracted more people downtown and increased sales, even last year when it rained, Swigger noted. “It was fun to see people wandering around with their umbrellas out.”
Need more reasons to #ShopSmall? Swigger easily lists them:
• It creates a ripple effect; local store owners are more likely to support other small businesses.
• Local businesses led by entrepreneurs are more likely to invest and live in their communities, contributing to their distinctive character.
• You’re supporting friends, neighbors, parents of your kids’ friends – and others.
• Multiple small businesses generate greater opportunities for innovation and better serve local residents’ needs, guaranteeing more product choices.
• You’re boosting the area’s tourism economy. Furthermore, research shows that when people travel, they spend money in brick and mortar stores as they seek an authentic local experience. That in turn creates more jobs.
Mark your calendar to shop local on Saturday, November 30. Stop by HumanKind to pick up your passport and receive your first stamp! Downtown SLO is still lining up participating businesses, so check its website for updates.
Be the first to comment...